Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Maurice at EWG

Last night I got into a game of Maurice with Bruce. We played the Battle of Freemans Farm during the American War of Independence.

Although intended to be played with 4 players, we were kind of shy on numbers so Bruce played the British while I played the Americans.

Both sides has 11 Army Points. I started the battle with 2 units near the farm. I placed my Lt Foot in the woods & the Militia inside the farmstead. Bruce had arrayed his starting forces along the ridge


The remainder of my force marched up to take positions behind the farmstead. Most were militia, so I was leery of trying to disrupt them moving over the fences.


The remainder of my reinforcements arrived on turn 2 & quickly marched to join the bottleneck that was forming. As luck would have it, the militia managed to defeat the British force to their front, while the Light foot on the left held another British unit at bay until I got another unit in support. I did lose a badly disrupted militia unit in a charge by the British, but then was able to outgun & eventually defeat him. Bruce had a heck of a time having his elite troops arrive, having needed to roll a 6 to arrive, so by the time they did, it was too late.


The battle ended with the army points standing at 9 - 0 for the Americans. This was certainly due to some fine dice rolls at important moments, being able to punish a unit with 4 hits in one volley was quite a feat with all the disruptions we kept heaping on one another.

Hopefully next time will see the addition of more players. More information of our club night can be seen at Bob's blog

No comments:

Post a Comment