Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Cobblestone sheets for Frostgrave/Mordheim or any other Victorian Era Gaming

Kind of a catch-all title, but suited. I spent last weekend painting up the cobblestone sheets I purchased a few years ago from the Christmas Village sets.

These are often found as a strip about 5" or 6" wide, or in this case as a sheet in a tube. I bought several of these & they come as seen below, in a 2 tone brown, however they are somewhat shiny.


First step was to tone them down, so I used this Woodland Scenics slate gray, more as a wash, this paint is quite runny which would be good at later steps.


Next were 2 rounds of weathering. First with the Rain Grey/Stone Gray. The runny Woodlands scenics worked nicely with the bit thicker craft paint. This was followed by a dusting of Yellow Ocher. The finished tile is below.


Then it was time for the final test. Using it as the base for our next Frostgrave Scenario. Setting the stage early as it ensures I keep the games table clear & making sure I have all the terrain bits I want to use.


A close-up of one of the streets.


I am happy with the results, spending all told, about 6 hours on them. I have a total of 6 of these sheets which make up an approx 4'x6' playing surface.

I have seen several cobblestone mats for sale online, however due to our failing dollar & the shipping costs of getting them from Europe, figured the 6 hours was worth it. Perhaps when our dollar rebounds, a purchase will be made.
 

10 comments:

  1. The cobblestones look tremendous after your painting and weathering, Terry, and something I'd like to replicate. :)

    How big were the sheets approximately? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pulp, & thanks. I will need to measure one tonight after work & get back to you

      Delete
    2. OK Pulp, took their measure & they are just shy of 18"x 35 1/2". How can you tell the manufacturer wasn't thinking about miniature gaming.

      Delete
    3. LOL, good point. Looks perfect for me needs though! Now I need to find a UK source! :)

      Delete
    4. Pulp, check out Amazon. I did a search on the UK version...though I wouldn't pay 41 UKP http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lemax-Christmas-Village-Pebble-Large/dp/B000VWFOSU/ref=sr_1_92?ie=UTF8&qid=1455247558&sr=8-92&keywords=lemax+christmas+village
      Best wait til the Christmas sales!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks Simon. I am quite happy with the result, now if only it would make my dice roll better!

      Delete
  3. Very effective cobblestones, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Silver, I have been perusing some of the newer mousepad cobblestone mats available, but the shipping from the UK/Europe is almost the price of another mat...not feasible at this time. This was a stop gap & if I indeed get a mat down the road, these can be cut to fit bases of figures if I choose (I do have some of the smaller rolls of them just for this purpose)

      Delete