Monday, February 15, 2021

3D Printed Wood Piles

As alluded too in my previous post, I had printed a woodpile on my 3d FDM printer. As I began to cleanup the first one, I was quite happy with how it was looking, so launched a second one.

 

Now I had hoped to give credit where it was due & link to the originator or kickstarter this came from, but sadly I couldn't find it. Perhaps someone seeing the post will know & can comment.

 

Items like these are exactly the reason behind my taking the plunge to get a 3d printer. And yes, I can say I will very likely print more of these as they will be so useful!

Having finished these today, & having the paints used handy, I decided to show the process. The paints are laid out left to right in order of use.

 

As I was debating the decision to use a more modern theme...ie blue or orange tarps, I was thinking that a more neutral one would be better, as then it could be used for any system or era I was gaming, be it Western, Pulp, WW2, or even medieval or fantasy.

So I opted to use a brown canvas type tarp to cover the wood.

Then I realized, as I could easily print off more, to actually do up the 2nd one off the printer with a blue tarp. I realized as I posted the image, the Graveyard Earth should have been removed.

 

So here they are side by side. I used a different contrast paint for each. As with most of the terrain I paint, my final item is the drybrushing of the Sand colour to grab the hi-points. It really helped the rope stand out.

 


Here are the 2 contrast paints used, so which do you prefer? I think both look good & may even mix the 2 on the next one I print.

 

So that's it for today, thanks as always for visiting. 

4 comments:

  1. Great stuff Terry! Can't beat Contrast for painting wood and horses - and both look the business, so there is no wrong choice. I do like the blue tarp 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ivor, I am very happy with both myself. Also happy they turned out so well. As for the blue tarp, if I was a Zombie Apocalpse, Modern gamer only, I would agree, but I am so all over the place I need to be able to multi-use these things

      Delete
  2. The blue tarp looks great for the modern look. I do prefer the wood look of the brown tarp though.
    Both figs look great though, well done.

    Peace

    ReplyDelete