Thursday, April 16, 2020

Frostgrave Barbarian Infantryman

Continuing to work through the Barbarians, today I present you with an Infantryman.

GAH! I really do hate the shine! But a solution will soon arrive as I've ordered some of the Testor's Dullcote. So these fellows will be getting another spray soon! This guy was sprayed with the Army Painter Anti-Shine...

I have done a bit of research into what are the best Anti-Shine products as posted by other miniature painters. Many tout the Army Painter one & indeed my previous cans 'did' the job with 1 coat. Then there were comments about doing several coats of it.....really? I feel its possible I just got a bad can. So once this runs out, we will test the theory. So for now, please bear with me & my shiny guys!


This is another of the ones made from the Northstar Plastic Barbarian box set.


 Lots more Barbarians are in the primed box awaiting my brush. One of the positives about this imposed stay at home directives, is that its afforded me more miniature painting opportunities!
 

10 comments:

  1. I don't think there's as much shine as you think there is. Note matter what you're using, you're going to get at least a tiny bit of shine, short of using Vantablack.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never heard of Vantablack? Is it an anti-shine product?

      Delete
    2. Yeah you can't buy Vantablack. It's kind of expensive and toxic. Picture black created by H.P. Lovecraft.

      Delete
  2. I went testors dullcote and never went back. It's not completely dull, but there is something about that seems to actually enhance paint jobs...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joe, once I get the order in. I will be spraying all these shiny guys & may post the results. Maybe Testors will give me a credit hehe.

      Delete
  3. Splendid! With regards to shine, I have been using matt picture varnish, which seems to be doing the trick nicely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michael, what brandname for the varnish? Will need to see if its available here in Canada

      Delete
    2. My first choice would be Windsor and Newton Professional Matt varnish, but I am also using Pebeo Matt Picture Varnish, which is slightly light. Go easy on it and shake the can well. Quite an interesting effect.

      Delete
  4. That box of figures for Frostgrave is just so versatile - love this Barbarbian variant and the shiny aspect doesn;t bother me in the slightest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Zabadak. I've seen people swapping bits between all 3 boxes (Soldiers, Cultists, Barbarians) for even more options.

      Delete