Sunday, February 6, 2022

Chain of Command - BEF "Winston! Where's My Car!"

So today I was able to finish up with support list 1 for my BEF force.

 


With the entry saying simply. Car with no driver.... Ok, off to Thingeverse to see what's out there for 1940 era vehicles. Finding a set of cars from marcusmole (there are 5 in the set)  I fired up my resin printer & got the Austin 7 Ruby started.

 Well the first print was....too small. Using the sizing they listed on his post, it looks to be more 20mm in scale. So after resizing it, I printed out 2. Again with my resin printer, there were some issues with getting the fender & running boards to print out

Not having software or the knowledge to try to repair a stl file, I opted for the second alternative ---  Cardboard! Making some strips of cardboard to be the running boards, I glued them underneath & then trimmed them down when dried.

 


After that was dried, I also made some cardboard fenders to replace the failed ones. Nothing fancy & won't win an award, but it suffices. 

 


Without a real plan of colours to paint them, I figured on these being 'aquired' during the campaign. I rusted & muddied up some of the other failed areas (fenders, etc) & went with a dark 'thicket' green & Prussian Blue for vehicle colours. These can now be used by any of the forces that need a  car...with no driver.

 


I am printing out some of the other vehicles, but have had some other issues with them, so will work on finding other files to use.

On another point, after working on my entrenchments & having the issues with the warping of the foam core, I reached out to an aquantance who kindly provided me with an stl file of the base to use. Cheers Mark!

 


I am now working on getting some of the sandbag files I've found on thingeverse scaled correctly to print out a bunch to make another set of the entrenchments.

So with Support list 1 done...I think you know where I am headed next. Though I want to work on a small side project for another friend...so stay tuned!

 

 

6 comments:

  1. Cars look good, interesting to see your printing exploits….seems like some trial an error works 👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt, its certainly an adventure all its own. Hopefully when a fail occurs, its something that can be salvaged & not having to be tossed into the trash. Nothing worse than a 20 hour print, that sometime during the night the noxxle clogs & you return to find the printhead moving back & forth with nothing but air or even worse plastic spegetti all over the place

      Delete
  2. Well donee getting a suitable stland printing it in a mor acceptable scale. I doubt I'd worry about the colours as I remeber Ford models having very similar dull tones (no black). Being a solid model it could still have a driver though eh?
    Well done with the carboard bits too, though Id use plastic (gleaned from old credit cards etc.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joe, I have found when your getting 'free' stl's your hoping the file is good. As well the scale of the stl is great to know as well. Many will say FOW or HO scale so we have an idea that they are 15mm or 1/72nd scale & its something we can work with when rescaling. As to the plastic, even a credit card would have been too thick. I also had some cardstock sitting on my paint table from my drinks cabinet mod.

      Delete
  3. Well for prints with issues, you’ve repaired them very nicely and those fenders and running boards look like they are meant to be there!

    Drivers aren’t needed anyhow, it’s 2022 and we have self driving cars, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dai, when they mention car with no driver, it just means that one of your squad soldiers will need to fill that role should you take the car as a support, thus lowering the strength of the squad. They do the same with the platoon AT Rifle. 2 members will need to man the weapon to use it.

      Delete