Sunday, August 28, 2022

Stargrave - Smoke!

Well with the Walls of Force still getting painted on my table, it was time to tackle another issue. Smoke Grenades! Yes I did buy the template set which comes with 2 templates for use as Smoke, but those are...well, not to the standard of a game table I like. Yes they will work well for the placement of the smoke template, but...


...so it was off to the dollar store on Saturday, with tape measure in hand. I needed to find a 4"x3" clear plastic cup. Having done so (it's close to 4" diameter) it was a matter of getting some of my card stock & having traced the cup circumference, was ready to begin


I think you can see where this is going. We now have a topper that will be the smoke so when tracing line of sight to different elevations through smoke we will now know for sure.


So as there will still be the base templates used, I painted them all up using grey & sponging on white to represent billowing smoke.


I now have the stacked between old CD's with a weight on them so they won't warp on me while drying completely. How does it look?


And while the glue dries on the actual poly filler 'smoke' you can see what the end result will be.


I know the purists will immediately say "Hey thats not 4"x3"! & they would be correct. But then when does smoke conform to anything when released. I will be making 12 total of them for use in our campaign & as the other players will be using them, I don't expect any issues. However I will trim some of the smoke once the piece has dried & may need to add some other pieces depending on how well it holds.

So thats my hobby time for this week. Thanks for visiting


6 comments:

  1. Very nice work! Smoke/Fog is one of those things that's simultaneously devilishly easy to represent on the tabletop (with cotton batting, as you've used) while still being challenging to make "work" within the context of the table. Yours is a very elegant solution, I would not of thought of using the cups like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bill. Always trying to improve the game table And at the end of it, maybe for a cost of a few dollars

      Delete
  2. Now that is very clever, surely no arguments there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michael, we may have an issue if someone is using a figure with a jump pack (thinking a Legion Mandelorian) but otherwise should be good

      Delete
  3. A very clever solution to an ongoing problem of how to represent figures moving through smoke/fog etc.
    The use of the cup is clever and I've seensimilar on "Colgar 6's" blog to represent a swarm of bees (oainted onto the 'cup' to surround the figure.

    ReplyDelete