Thursday, January 28, 2021

Earth Elemental & Some Giant Toads

 During lunch today, I finished up the first of the 2 Earth Elementals I picked up last weekend.


 

I went with a black wash to start & then various shades of drybrushing to get the effect you see here.

 


The second one I plan on doing some lava type effects in the recessess & likely go with a greyer overall colouring to allow the lava effect pop more.

 As this was occuring, I am nearing the end of my current PLA spool & after seeing some FDM miniature prints that another gamer friend had been doing, thought I would give it a go on my FDM printer.

So I snagged a Giant Toad STL file I bought from Duncan Shadow's My minifactory store site.

 


I reduced the figure to 50% size & added supports with a brim base.

 

One I kept with how the supports printed on the one to show. The supports just sort of peel off. Then there is a bit of work to cleanup the brim from the base & rub the nubs from the supports off. Overall I think it turned out well & here you can see them beside a Frostgrave soldier for size.

 


How big are those fang faced frost toads anyway?  Can you imagine them printed at 100%? Guess they can be a wide range, just don't let them hop into your warband!

 Thanks for visiting.

4 comments:

  1. The earth tiones on the golem are excellent - great figure too, but the star prize must go to the toads ! Just how good have these 3D printed figures become and of course your rapidly developing expertise in printing them ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Zabadak, If you were to look closely at the toads, you will see some imperfections, but for tabletop, they will certainly work. Usually miniatures are done on the resin printers as they offer so much finer details. As I mentioned in my post, I just wanted to 'try' them on my FDM printer as my spool is almost empty. Will be cleaning them up, so watch for them in a future post! As for expertise...well I am pretty lazy & would love to find the perfect profile for everything & just leave it at that...there is still much to learn.

      Delete
  2. Great stuff Terry! That entire line of Nolzur's and Deep Cuts models are fantastic, especially for the price point. I've found some models a bit finicky with painting right out of the package and have now gone to re-priming them before attempting to paint - have you had any issues or do you just paint right after opening them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ivor, yes they have a great line! I've found that your correct that they can be finicky with paint. the clear ones definately. For the Earth Elementals, I used a craft black paint which is quite runny to begin with to sort of get a starter colour which acted as a base for the remaining colours. I think one you get past that first coat, things improve. Otherwise yes I've been painting them right out of the package.

      Delete